The Academy for RAT PATROL Studies . . .
Text and (not-so)Subtext
Serious Articles, Meditative Musings, and Random Thoughts on the RAT PATROL, fandom,
storytelling, television, and WWII
Call for submissions|
Fandoms generate much serious disussion on sociology, what it takes to be entertaining, what our
storytelling tells about our culture, what our fandoms tell about us, and what The Rat
Patrol has done to make it so enduring; why one particular episode becomes a favourite;
how The Rat Patrol stacks up against its contemporaries, what it does (and does not)
teach us about our history. Just what does The Rat Patrol make you think about?
Serious or frivolous, mainstream or feather-ruffling, topics that make people edgy, topics that
make people smile; you can even be anonymous, if you like. If you're interested in finding a place
for those thoughts, let us know.
- Desert Danger
- Ruth fills us in on the second of the authorised Rat Patrol paperbacks.
- Anne's Convention reports
- Anne reports the highlights of annual events where Rat Patrol watchers and
other media fans gather.
(Nov 00 and ongoing)
- An Interview with Gary Raymond
- Gary Raymond brought the Classified Dossier up to date on his current projects, took a tour through the web site, and answered a few of those vital questions that have been plaguing fans throughout the years....
- The Rat Patrol Viewing Game
- It's something
like a drinking game, but since one should
never drink and drive a jeep, we've substituted M&Ms. The rules are simple: whenever
something on the list happens, you get an M&M (or two, or three for
those really rare events). Settle down in front of an episode and give it a try.
(Sept 99 and ongoing)
- The Great Eastern Brew Up
- East Coast Rats meet for tea and espionage, and no one gets hurt. A photo and commentary from the Toronto
- West Coast Marathon
- Don't have time to read the entire episode synopsis guide? The West Coast Rats have assembled a handy
(28/29 Aug 99)
by The West Coast Rats Poetry Society
- 'Twas The Night Before the Convoy --
Or, Visit From Four Rats
- Poetry good in any season.
(29 Aug 99)
by The West Coast Rats Poetry Society
- Book Reviews
- Books, videos, and online sources, from a little light background information to specialised
topics; useful books as well as the heads up on books that don't quite pass inspection.
(ongoing, various contributors)
- Memories of Chris
- A chance line in
The Double or Nothing Raid
brings back memories of Christopher George's appearances -- as himself.
(10 April 99)
- Episode Guide and Shameless Ratings System
- Not just a synopsis. If you want to know how many lines Tully had or how gullible
Dietrich was that week, this is the place to find out. No episode survives!
(March & April 99)
by Jan Ilott
- Following the actors' careers will lead you to both the very best and the very
strangest cinema has to offer. A list of those film and television reviews that have
their own pages on this site. Still mostly appearances by the Raymond family --
- Dangerous Men! Character Biographies
- All the information the show gives us -- plus the lowdown on our lads' nicks and scratches.
(6 Feb. 99)
- More Dangerous Men!
- Additions to the Character Bios. (9 Feb. 99)
by various contributors
- Rat Patrol: From the Beginning
- A belated appreciation and thoughts on the show's message during and after VietNam
(26 Nov. 98)
by Anna G. McDougald
- Musings on The Rat Patrol
- A sociologist shares his comments after seeing the show rebroadcast on
Canada's History Television (11 Nov. 98)
by Alexander Roman, Ph.D.
- No One Wants to See This Girl Die
- Why do we sense subtextual relationships on The Rat Patrol and other Sixties-era shows
where it's not very likely there are any?
by Robin Mayhall
- Subtext as Text: Fan writers take charge
- Information on Flanking Maneuvers, a Rat Patrol zine featuring strong
writing, some serious historical context, and a lot of interesting fun. Please note: This is
an adult zine.
- Jason and the Argonauts
- the movie, the myth, and special effects then and now -- and a bit about Gary Raymond's role as
(heavily illustrated with scenes from the film)
(back under construction, but very much unfinished)
by C. Burrell
- Film Reviews
Highlander: Archangel (Emily Raymond)
The Invisible Man (Gary Raymond)
The Millionairess (Gary Raymond)
Look Back in Anger (Gary Raymond)
Playboy of the Western World (Gary Raymond)
Robin Hood: One Man's Meat (Gary Raymond)
UFO: The Man Who Came Back (Gary Raymond)
Please see also the individual filmography pages:
Hans Gudegast/Eric Braeden
return to the briefing room by jeep
return to the briefing room by tank
Logomancy and ByrenLee Press are based in Riverdale, NYC, and Austin, TX. Questions or Comments? Don't hesitate to let us know!